Parish History

St. Maurice Parish was founded in 1949 and our first Mass held in “Memory Lane,” the old Forest Hills Roller Rink. For many years the parish made its home in a former Coca-Cola building on Ardmore Boulevard.

The Parish Center was built in 1960 as a convent for the Sisters of Mercy. The building now houses parish offices and meeting space. The school library is housed on the second floor. The rectory is next door.

The parish fulfilled its dream of building the present church in 1977. Our membership has continued to expand, and new members are always welcome.

School History

The Saint Maurice School was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1953 upon completion of the school building.  An addition to the school was built in 1956.

East Catholic School was established in 2012 with the mergers of Good Shepherd, St. Maurice and Word of God Schools. East Catholic School houses classrooms and up-to-date laboratories and facilities for more than 300 students in Kindergarten through Grade 8. It is accessible via a staircase at the rear of the church and through Keane Hall, a large parish gathering space and cafeteria directly beneath the church

Our Patron Saint

Saint Maurice was a Roman centurion and leader of the army’s Theban legion, composed entirely of Christians. Ordered to suppress a revolt in Gaul in 286 AD, the victorious legion was told to sacrifice to the pagan gods in thanksgiving, but refused. As a result, every tenth person was killed. Another order to sacrifice and another refusal caused a general massacre of the legion in (what is now) Switzerland.

Maurice is said to have told Emperor Maximilian: “Know, O Emperor, that we are your soldiers, but we are servants of the true God. In all things lawful, we will obey, but we would rather die without shame than live in sin.”  Saint Maurice’s Feast Day is September 22.

A Walk Through Saint Maurice

Among the first things you see upon entering St. Maurice is the large sanctuary wall sculpture. Entitled “Glory of God,King of the Universe,” its distinctive elements include a crown at the top of a profile head, with outstretched hands, representing the Father embracing humanity. Five circular loaves with cross forms and two fish recall Christ’s compassion for all who hunger for the “Good News.”

Two interlacing rings represent the union of God and His people. The sand finish is a symbol of God’s promise to Abraham that his people will multiply as the sands of the shore. Learn more about this sculpture by clicking here.

The faceted glass windows leading into the sanctuary symbolize the mysteries of the Rosary of Our Lady (beginning in blue) on the east side and the Stations of the Cross (beginning in red) on the west side. The rear band of windows is from our old church and contains sacramental symbols. The 40-foot steel bell tower is triangular, topped with three crosses of varying heights, and contains the Carillon, which rings out The Angelus and call to worship for Masses.

Top of Page